Once again the AOC will be running a photo competition. The photo competition is a chance to exhibit the majesty and visual appeal of our avian fauna – one of the core reason so many people become interested in birds. Many bird enthusiasts are also keen photographers so this is a chance for AOC attendees to show off your skills and creativity. All AOC attendees are eligible to enter the competition. Entry is free and there will be prizes for first and second place in all categories.
The winner of this category will conjure an image which captures the importance of appreciating and conserving threatened bird species.
This category will portray the unique quirks and behaviours which drive people’s fascination with birds.
Birds in flight
This category is designed to highlight birds amazing ability to fly and dominate the skies.
Birds up close
These photographs will showcase the beautiful detail in birds that you may not see in a quick glimpse.
All entries are considered for People’s Choice Category. Photos will be displayed on the BirdLife Top End Facebook page. The two entries with the most ‘likes’ on the Facebook page will receive 1st and 2nd prize.
Open and closing dates
Entries for the photographic competition open on Tuesday 1 January 2019 and close on Sunday 24 June 2019, see Conditions of Entry for more information.
The judging will be performed by a panel of judges appointed by the Australasian Ornithological Conference Local Organising Committee. The Judges will have expertise in bird and nature photography. The entries will be judged on originality, relevance to the category, and aesthetic qualities.
To be confirmed
Full details on how to enter are below
Submit entries to:
Conditions of Entry:
1. The competition is open to anyone attending AOC 2019, except for the organisers of the AOC 2019.
2. Entries must be photographs sent to the AOC 2019 photo comp email address as high-quality jpegs. The photographs should be 20 x 30 cm (8 x 12 inches) at 300 dpi and the compressed file size should be less than 10MB. Adjustments to images should be kept to a minimum (with minor cleaning, cropping and reasonable adjustments to exposure, colour and contrast allowed) and compositions of multiple images are not allowed. Each entry must be accompanied by the following information:
- entrant’s name
- category being entered
- if the entrant is currently enrolled as a student
- when and where the image was taken (feel free to add a one paragraph story)
3. Entry is limited to 2 images into each category per entrant and entrants should avoid submitting multiple images of the same subject.
4. The entrant must be the copyright owner of all images entered. Entrants retain copyright of all original images submitted.
5. The shortlisted top 10 entries for each category will be displayed at the AOC 2019.
6. People’s Choice will be judged by popular vote (through ‘likes’ on a photo) on the BirdLife Top End Facebook page. All winning entries will be announced on the last day of the AOC and prizes awarded.
7. If there are persons depicted in your entry, you are responsible for obtaining written consent of the persons in the image for the photograph to be reproduced.
8. The AOC organising committee will not enter into any discussion or correspondence regarding the outcome of the competition. The AOC organising committee accepts no responsibility for lost or incorrectly submitted entries and will not be liable for any loss or damage whatsoever which is suffered.
9. Entry into this competition is deemed acceptance of these terms and conditions.
10. The closing date for entries is (midnight) Sunday 24 June 2019.